MILLENNIUM MILESTONES-SHIPLOGS-COMING EVENTS
July 31 - August 1, 2000,
vol. 11, no. 128
Events that happened this weekend in Church History
We begin the month of August on Tuesday by commemorating the 1,933rd anniversary of the death of the first Pope - Saint Peter, the man chosen by Christ Himself and documented in Matthew 16: 17-19 to lead His Church after His Ascension into Heaven. Peter, ever the strong-willed, but fearful Apostle who was known for his temerity, would not have been the logical choice by prognosticators in Our Lord's time to have been chosen. But God knew best. Doubters no doubt would have pointed to the fact that after denying our Savior three times, and then being restored in Christ's good graces, decided to hightail it out of Rome when the persecutions started getting hot and heavy. Perhaps he might have fled into oblivion were it not for another reminder from Our Lord, posing as a stranger along the Via out of the eternal city. There He calmly asked the Apostle as he was passing by, "Quo vadis?" "Wither thou goest?" Peter recognized the error of his ways and at the same time realized God was asking him to go back into the city, to be the rock Jesus had fashioned and, in true devotion and belief, Peter did indeed return. August 1, 67 A.D. is believed to be the day his persecutors put him to death by crucifixion. Because he was repentant for his earlier faults, he felt unworthy to be crucified in the same manner as his Lord and Master. Therefore he requested to be crucified upside down. From the seed of his blood on Vatican Hill the roots of the Church of Rome were planted deep and grew to be the Rock of salvation as Jesus had foretold. For other time capsule events that happened this weekend in Church history, see MILLENNIUM MILESTONES AND MEMORIES
For more details, see DAILY SHIPLOGS
- Total number of visits for the Jubilee Year up to July 30, 2000:
- Total number of visits in 1999:
- Total number of visits since this daily publication went on line November 1, 1997:
- The Holy Father's Sunday Angelus Address from his Castel Gandolfo Summer Palace in THE VICAR OF CHRIST SPEAKS
- Dr. Frank Joseph's eye-opening Pro-Life Prescriptions column LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL!
- The 192nd installment on the treasures of the great Deposit of Faith in our daily series APPRECIATING THE PRECIOUS GIFT OF OUR FAITH
- Time Capsules in Church History focusing on August 2nd and 3rd.
- Another gem from SIMPLY SHEEN
- DAILY LITURGY for the Feast of the Bishop Saint Eusebius of Vercelli and the holy priest Saint Julian Eymard on Wednesday and Ordinary Time on Thursday.
- ...and much more in our 129th issue for 2000!
Be an angel!
Through the stewardship of Catholic Journalism you can help us reach more souls by sending whatever you can to help keep the DailyCATHOLIC going strong since it is the only daily publication of its kind for Catholics anywhere in the world in daily promoting the truths of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Please read our editorial today and call 800-I-DO-PRAY or e-mail us and let us know that Yes, I want to help or use the gift form if you prefer. Whichever way, we desperately need your financial help.