MILLENNIUM MILESTONES-SHIPLOGS-COMING EVENTS
July 28-30, 2000
vol. 11, no. 127
Events that happened this weekend in Church History
Saturday, besides being the Feast of Saint Martha, it is the 901st anniversary of the Sovereign Pontiff who inspired the First Crusade - Pope Saint Urban II, the 159th successor of Peter. He was elected by the conclave of loyal cardinals in Velletri, Italy on March 12, 1088. This was because the antipope Clement III ruled Rome and there was great conflict at that time with the families of the eternal city fighting among themselves. Urban's eleven year pontificate was most noted for calling the very first of many Crusades over the next two centuries, a holy war that would meet with success in some venues, but largely caused much bloodshed in a lost cause ultimately for they were not able to drive the Saracens out. St. Urban also instituted the "Truce of God" which was an agreement by all that there would be a brief break in battle, giving each side time to bury those killed in the fighting. For other time capsule events that happened this weekend in Church history, see MILLENNIUM MILESTONES AND MEMORIES
For more details, see DAILY SHIPLOGS
- Total number of visits for the Jubilee Year as of July 27, 2000:
- Total number of visits in 1999:
- Total number of visits since this daily publication went on line November 1, 1997:
- Pat Ludwa's introspective and thought-provoking column VIEW FROM THE PEW
- Fourth installment of Cyndi Cain's column SYMPHONY OF SUFFERING
- The 191st installment on the treasures of the great Deposit of Faith in our daily series APPRECIATING THE PRECIOUS GIFT OF OUR FAITH
- Time Capsules in Church History focusing on July 30 -August 1st.
- Another gem from SIMPLY SHEEN
- DAILY LITURGY for the Feast of Saint Ignatius of Loyola on Monday and the Feast of Saint Alphonsus Liguori on Tuesday.
- ...and much more in our 128th issue for 2000!
Be an angel!
Through the stewardship of Catholic Journalism you can help us reach more souls by sending whatever you can to help keep the DailyCATHOLIC going strong since it is the only daily publication of its kind for Catholics anywhere in the world in daily promoting the truths of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Please read our editorial today and call 800-I-DO-PRAY or e-mail us and let us know that Yes, I want to help or use the gift form if you prefer. Whichever way, we desperately need your financial help.