GUATEMALA CITY (CWNews.com) - A Guatemalan priest charged
with the murder of a bishop in 1998 denied that he had
anything to do with it on Wednesday.
Father Mario Orantes spoke to reporters from his hospital
bed for the first time since returning from the US to face
charges on February 9. He had been in the US seeking
treatment for chronic medical problems brought on by his
first incarceration on the charges of murdering Auxiliary
Bishop Juan Jose Conedera Gerardi in April, 1998.
Bishop Gerardi was bludgeoned to death in his garage two
days after releasing a report that blamed the majority of
death's in the country's 36-year civil war on the military
and its supporters. Human rights groups and Catholics
blamed the murder on the military, and faulted
investigators for focusing immediately on Father Orantes
and the housekeeper.
"I didn't see anything, I didn't hear anything, I didn't do
anything," Father Orantes said. "All I did was find my
brother, Bishop Gerardi, murdered." He spent seven months
in jail after being arrested after the murder, but was
released and allowed to travel to seek treatment for a
nervous system problem. He was ordered to return after the
current judge in the case re-examined the evidence in the
case.
Father Orantes was charged with murder again on March 10
along with his former housekeeper and members of an elite
military unit. "After all this time here I still do not
know the reasons I have again been charged. If the evidence
was so important you would think I would have heard about it
by now," he said.
Two previous prosecutors and two judges in the case have
stepped down during the investigation, some of them citing
threats against them and their families by unidentified
parties.