MONDAY
January 10, 2000
volume 11, no. 6
To print out entire text
of Today's issue, go to
SECTION ONE
SECTION TWO
SECTION THREE

NEWS & VIEWS     Acknowledgments
Articles provided through Catholic World News and Church News at Noticias Eclesiales and International Dossiers, Daily Dispatches and Features at ZENIT International News Agency. CWN, NE and ZENIT are not affiliated with the Daily CATHOLIC but provide this service via e-mail to the Daily CATHOLIC Monday through Friday.

EL SALVADOR PRESIDENT REFUSES TO REOPEN JESUIT MURDER CASE

    SAN SALVADOR (CWNews.com) - The president of El Salvador on Thursday refused to reopen an investigation into the 1989 murder of six Jesuits, claiming the act would reopen old wounds.

    A regional human rights court had recommended that El Salvador investigate those responsible for the murder of five Spanish Jesuits, a Salvadorean Jesuit, their cook, and her daughter at a prominent university at the height of the country's 12-year civil war. But President Francisco Flores said doing so would violate an amnesty agreement that was part of the peace process that ended the war in 1992.

    Right-wing deaths squads, composed of army officers, were accused of the murders, citing their suspicions that the Jesuits were sympathizers of Marxist rebels.

    The Inter-American Human Rights Commission, part of the Organization of American States (OAS), last month criticized the government's decision not to prosecute army officers who subsequently were implicated in ordering the massacre. "We don't think little of the OAS nor of the UCA, but we do respect peace and its enormous price," Flores told a news conference. "We think highly of the peace and stability we have."

          

January 10, 2000
volume 10, no. 6
NEWS & VIEWS

To print out text of Today's issue, go to:
SECTION ONE | SECTION TWO | SECTION THREE

The DAILY CATHOLIC Search for anything
from the last three
years in past issues of
the DailyCATHOLIC: