Monday thru Friday on the
CATHOLIC-INTERNET NETWORK at
See why so many consider the
Daily CATHOLIC as the
"USA Today for CATHOLICS!"
May 11, 1998
SECTION TWO   vol 9, no. 91
To print out entire text of Today's issue, print this section as well as SECTION ONE
WORLDWIDE NEWS & VIEWS with a Catholic slant
McDonald's has nothing on the Church; One billion and counting!
It has just been revealed that there have been one billion served. We're not talking hamburgers, we're talking souls! That is now the official number of Catholics in the world - one billion - according to a census report released by the Vatican late last week. The numbers were compiled from bishops' figures submitted throughout the world and estimating the number of underground Catholics in North Korea and Red China where the exact figures are not available. For more, click on one billion Catholics
VATICAN SAYS MORE THAN 1 BILLION CATHOLICS WORLDWIDE
VATICAN CITY (CWNews.com) - The Vatican's Central
Statistics Office said this week that it estimates there
are now more than 1 billion Catholics in the world.
The figure is part of the annual report on the Catholic
Church and was calculated based on reports from bishops'
conferences in most countries, and by estimating the number
of the faithful in countries where the Church is suppressed
including China and North Korea. Enrico Nenna of the
Central Statistics Office said the figure was arrived at by
adding nearly 5 million Catholics in China and North Korea
to 995.128 million elsewhere in the world in 1996.
In 1995, the Vatican estimated there were 989 million
Catholics worldwide, excluding China and North Korea.
Murder of Swiss Guard Commander-elect Alois Estermann and his wife were evidently premeditated in suicide note left by Tornay
A suicide note left by disgruntled Swiss Guard Cedric Tornay to his mothers just hours before he gunned down his superior officer Alois Estermann and his wife Gladys points to the fact that he knew exactly what he was doing. These facts came to light with the release in the Italian press of excerpts written by Tornay earlier on last Monday, the day of the murders. One newspaper, known for being reputable, published the words of the note in its entirety. For more, click on Suicide note.
ITALIAN PAPERS CARRY SWISS GUARD "SUICIDE NOTE"
VATICAN (CWNews.com) -- Several Italian newspapers today carried
slightly differing versions of what was said to be a suicide note
written by Swiss Guard Corporal Cedric Tornay to his parents on the
afternoon before the fatal encounter in which he apparently killed
Colonel Alois Estermann and his wife, then turned his weapon on
No paper carried a photo of the letter-- a fact which suggested that
the text had been dictated to reporters by an indiscreet investigator.
And the versions published in different newspapers showed some
small differences, presumably because of differences in translating
the original French. But the different versions were not
fundamentally incompatible, and the text of the letter was plausible.
Corriere della Sera, considered one of the country's more respectable
papers, carried the most complete text.
The text, as it appears, matches the investigators' explanation of the
crime. In the purported letter, Tornay asks his mother's forgiveness
for what he is about to do. He indicates that he has been deeply
wounded by the harshness of his superior, Colonel Estermann, and by
the absence of any official recognition for his service. "I ask your
pardon for leaving you alone, but my duty calls," he says, asking his
mother to convey his love to the other members of the family.
Investigators in Rome have not officially released any information
about the contents of Tornay's last letter, and the Vatican has made
it clear that the letter would not be made public without the explicit
permission of the family. Tornay's mother, who came to Rome for her
son's funeral, has avoided all contact with the press.
Speaking of suicides: Arrest of suicide doctor could put an end to it!
They caught Al Capone on tax fraud, maybe this time they can make resisting arrest stick for Jack Kevorkian and a fellow doctor who were arrested outside a Detroit suburban hospital after delivering another body. The difference this time is that the dead man was a quadriplegic and could not have injected himself, thus making it a homicide, not a suicide. Though Kevorkian was released on bail, you can bet authorities will try to pin the wrap on the so-called "suicide doctor" to once and for all put an end to his penchant for euthanasia. For more, click on Suicide is a homicide.
KEVORKIAN ARRESTED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH POLICE
ROYAL OAK, Michigan (CWNews.com) - Assisted suicide
activist Jack Kevorkian and an assistant were arrested
Thursday night after scuffling with police outside a
hospital where the two men were bringing the body of an
apparent assisted suicide victim.
Kevorkian was arraigned Friday morning and was wheeled into
the courtroom in a wheelchair, apparently because he refused
to go voluntarily. Kevorkian sat slumped in the wheelchair
and refused to answer the judge's questions as he was
arraigned on charges of assault, battery and resisting
arrest for allegedly shoving police officers. His
associate, Dr. Georges Reding, was charged with interfering
with a police officer and resisting arrest. Both men were
later released without having to post bail. They are due
back in court on June 2.
Kevorkian and Reding took the body of a 26-year-old
quadriplegic from Aptos, California, to William Beaumont
Hospital in the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak at 10:23 pm
Thursday, hospital spokeswoman Collette Stimmell said.
Oakland County Medical Examiner Dr. L.J. Dragovic said an
autopsy this morning revealed the man died of a lethal
injection. Dragovic said the case has been ruled a
homicide, given that the man was a quadriplegic and
medically could not inject himself. Kevorkian has admitted
helping more than 100 people die since 1990.
Holy Father heading for Croatia in the Fall
The Vatican announced late last week that his holiness John Paul II will be visiting Croatian this coming October where he will beatify Cardinal Alojzije
Stepinac who shielded many Jews from persecution by the Communists in Yugoslavia. For this he was imprisoned and it is where he died. With the announcement of the Pope's visit, speculation again begins to surface that the Holy Father might possibly make a side trip south to Medjugorje. For more. click on Croatia.
POPE TO VISIT CROATIA, BEATIFY CARDINAL
ZAGREB (CWNews.com) - Pope John Paul II is expected to
visit Croatia in October and beatify Cardinal Alojzije
Stepinac, who was imprisoned by Yugoslav Communist
authorities after World War II, said Archbishop Josip
Bozanic on Friday.
Addressing a congregation in Krasic, the birthplace of
Cardinal Stepinac, the archbishop said the Holy Father
would visit Croatia from October 2-4, the Hina state news
agency reported. He is expected to beatify Stepinac on
October 3 at the Marija Bistrica shrine.
Cardinal Stepinac was arrested and tried by Yugoslav
authorities for allegedly supporting the Nazi-backed
Ustasha fascists, who killed thousands of Jews, Serbs, and
Gypsies in Croatia. He died under house arrest in 1960.
However, Croatia's Jewish community recently credited the
cardinal with helping to avert the persecution of many Jews.
The inmates are running the prison, literally!
Colorful Benton County Sheriff Andy Lee must feel like Moses when he brought the ten commandment tablets down from Sinai and discovered they were rejecting him and the new laws. That is because a Judge from Bentonville, Arkansas upheld a prisoner's complaint that Lee's posting of the "Ten Benton County Jail Rules," patterned after the Ten Commandments, offended the inmate's rights. Wait a second, who said prisoners have rights? Don't they lose such privileges when they are convicted? Evidently not according to the Judge. It's sad because if anyone needs God it's the prisoners and now they'll be deprived because of one crackpot atheist. For more. click on Ridiculous decision.
ARKANSAS JUDGE TELLS SHERIFF TO REMOVE "TEN JAIL RULES"
BENTONVILLE, Arkansas (CWNews.com) - A Benton County,
Arkansas judge ruled that the local sheriff must remove a
set of rules posted in the county jail because they have
Sheriff Andy Lee posted his "Ten Benton County Jail Rules"
which are adapted from biblical rules alongside 30 other
rules regarding inmate conduct. The judge cited as
inappropriate one the rules which says, "Remember the
Sabbath day is a holy day for some detainees (i.e., Do not
interfere with others' worship of Almighty God)."
In testimony, Lee said his goal was to put God in the jail
as much as possible to help create a positive atmosphere
that could lead to a reduction in crime. "I do believe the
world would be a better place," the sheriff said, "if we
would obey those Ten Commandments and walk with the Lord."
The lawsuit was brought by inmate Jamey Ashford who argued
that the rules violated his rights.
For more headlines and articles, we suggest you go to the Catholic World News site. CWN is not affiliated with the Daily CATHOLIC but provides this service via e-mail to the Daily CATHOLIC Monday through Friday.
PROVERB OF THE DAY
"Expel the arrogant man and discord goes out; strife and insult cease."
Proverbs 23: 10
Click here to return to SECTION ONE or click here to return to the graphics front page of this issue.
May 11, 1998 volume 9, no. 91 DAILY CATHOLIC