SAN ANTONIO, TX - March 13, 2001 (KSAT from www.diocesereport.com) - Archbishop Patrick Flores remained in the intensive care unit at a downtown hospital on Monday, one day after undergoing emergency heart surgery.
Flores is expected to remain in Christus Santa Rosa's ICU for 2-3 days.
But doctors are expecting the state's highest-ranking Catholic to make a complete recovery.
Blocks from the hospital, people prayed for Flores' health at a church where he celebrates Mass often.
Those attending San Fernando Cathedral said their thoughts and prayers are with Flores.
"He's a holy and a sacred man; we pray for him," one man said outside the church.
"We all prayed for him Father prayed for him," a woman said after Mass. "We're so thankful and grateful that God spared him for us."
Doctors had to take quick action Sunday after they discovered that Flores had seven clogged heart arteries.
Doctors said that if the procedure had not been done, the archbishop would have had a heart attack in a matter of days.
Hospital officials said that Flores had been urged to undergo an angioplasty last Friday, but rescheduled it for Sunday, when he had more free time.
Doctors said that because Flores took quick action and reported symptoms right away, there was no damage to the heart muscle.
Flores may be able to get back to work in as little as three or four weeks.