MILLENNIUM MILESTONES-SHIPLOGS-COMING EVENTS
June 24-25, 2000
vol. 11, no. 125
Events that happened during this time in Church History
Tuesday, besides being the 1,956th anniversary of the death of the Apostle Saint James the Greater who was close to Our Lord, it is also believed to be the 1,749th anniversary of the death of the man we consider Saint Christopher who also was close to Jesus. He died in 251. Though he has been largely de-emphasized in modern times since Vatican II, St. Christopher is said to have been in reality a holy man named Offero, a Palestinian who aided travelers across a dangerous stream in the . During this time he met a hermit who instructed him on the Faith and Offero began taking the opportunity to share these stories of Jesus with others as he helped them cross. Legend has it that one day as he was carrying a child across the rushing stream, he remarked to the Child, "I feel as if I were carrying the whole world upon my shoulders." The Child Jesus soothingly said to him. "You are carrying more than the world; you are carrying Him Who created Heaven and earth." After reaching the shore, it is believed Jesus baptized him and from that moment he became Christopher which means "Christ bearer." Because this could not be documented, the Council Fathers sought to downgrade Christopher who still is popular with motorists. They continue to carry St. Christopher medals in their cars and he is still considered the Patron Saint of Travelers. For other time capsule events that happened during this period in Church history, see MILLENNIUM MILESTONES AND MEMORIES
For more details, see DAILY SHIPLOGS
- Total number of visits as of July 23, 2000:
- Total number of visits in 1999:
- Total number of visits since this daily publication went on line November 1, 1997:
- The Holy Father's Sunday Angelus Address from his Castel Gandolfo Summer Palace in THE VICAR OF CHRIST SPEAKS
- Pat Ludwa returns with another dynamic column in his VIEW FROM THE PEW
- Dr. Frank Joseph's eye-opening Pro-Life Prescriptions column LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL!
- The 189th installment on the treasures of the great Deposit of Faith in our daily series APPRECIATING THE PRECIOUS GIFT OF OUR FAITH
- Time Capsules in Church History focusing on July 26-27th.
- July Medjugorje Monthly Message imparted by Our Lady on July 25th
- Another gem from SIMPLY SHEEN
- DAILY LITURGY for Feast of Saint Anne and Saint Joachim on Wednesday and Weekday in Ordinary Time on Thursday
- ...and much more in our 126th issue for 2000!
Be an angel!
Through the stewardship of Catholic Journalism you can help us reach more souls by sending whatever you can to help keep the DailyCATHOLIC going strong since it is the only daily publication of its kind for Catholics anywhere in the world in daily promoting the truths of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Please read our editorial today and call 800-I-DO-PRAY or e-mail us and let us know that Yes, I want to help or use the gift form if you prefer. Whichever way, we desperately need your financial help.